Mirchi ka Salan Recipe
Mirchi ka Salan Recipe is a popular Indian curry that is known for its spicy and tangy flavors. It’s also known as spicy Indian green chili curry and tangy peanut and chili curry. It is commonly served in households, restaurants and during festivals.
In this article we will explore the origins of Mirchi ka Salan and provide you with a step by step guide on how to prepare this delicious dish at home easily.
About Mirchi ka Salan Recipe?
Mirchi ka Salan recipe is a curry made with green chilies, peanuts, sesame seeds, tamarind pulp and spices. The Recipe originated in Andhra Pradesh, India. Where it is considered a delicacy.
It is a popular dish in Hyderabadi cuisine. Its often served as a side dish with biryani or pulao.
A Brief History of Mirchi Ka Salan The Spicy Indian Green Chili Curry
The exact origin of Salan or Spicy Indian green chili curry is not known but it is believed to have originated in the 18th century in the royal kitchens of the Nizams of Hyderabad.
The Nizams were known for their love of fine cuisine, and Mirchi ka Salan was created as a way to enhance the taste of spicy food.
Over time, the recipe evolved and various versions of spicy Indian green chili curry have emerged each with its own unique taste and flavor. Today it forms a major part of Hyderabadi cuisine. Now it is a popular dish enjoyed by people across the world.
How to Make Mirchi ka Salan – Traditional Hyderabad Style Ingredients & Instructions
Ingredients are the key to any recipe and for Mirchi ka Salan. You will need the following list of ingredients
- 250 grams of green chilies
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Where To Find them?
Green chilies are the star ingredient of this dish. You can find them in any grocery store or vegetable market. Look for fresh and firm chilies with no signs of wrinkles or blemishes.
Mustard seeds and sesame seeds are easily available in grocery stores. You can also find them in Indian stores or online.
Peanuts can be found in any grocery or ration store. You can use either raw or roasted peanuts depending on your preference.
Onions and ginger garlic paste are readily available in most grocery stores. You can also make the paste at home by grinding fresh ginger and garlic.
Turmeric powder and red chili powder are essential spices that can be found in any grocery store or your nearest ration store.
Tamarind pulp is a key ingredient in Spicy Indian green chili curry. It can be found in Indian stores or online. You can also make the pulp at home by soaking tamarind in water and then extracting the juice.
Oil and salt are pantry staples and can be found in any ration store.
Coriander leaves are used for garnishing and can be found in any grocery store or vegetable market.
By using the above listed ingredients. You can prepare a delicious and authentic Mirchi ka Salan recipe that will leave your taste buds tingling. For best results be sure to follow the recipe and cooking tips.
Here is the step by step instructions to prepare the South Indian Mirchi ka Salan Recipe:
- Wash the green chilies and cut off the top. Cut it lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- In a pan roast the peanuts, sesame seeds and mustard seeds until they turn golden brown.
- Grind the roasted ingredients finely.
- Heat the oil in the same pan. Then add the chopped onion. Fry until they turn golden brown.
- Red chili powder as well turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste should all be added to the pan. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add the grind powder to the pan and mix well.
- Add the tamarind pulp and 1 cup of water. Mix it and let it cook for minutes.
- Add the green chilies and salt to the pan. Mix it and cook for 15 minutes or untill the chilies are soft and cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rice or roti.
Tips for Preparing
- Use fresh green chilies for the best flavor. Avoid using chilies that are wrinkled or discolored.
- Adjust the amount of chili powder and tamarind pulp as per your taste. If you prefer a spicier dish then add more chili powder. If you want it to be tangier add more tamarind pulp.
- Do not overcook the chilies as they will lose their texture and taste. Cook just until soft.
- You can add a pinch of sugar. It balances out the flavors if needed.
By following these simple steps and tips. You can prepare a delicious and authentic Mirchi ka Salan recipe that will leave your taste buds tingling. Serve it with steamed rice or roti and enjoy the burst of flavors.
It is a spicy and flavorful dish that is perfect to be served with rice or roti. Here are some serving suggestions and side dishes that go well with Mirchi ka Salan:
How to Serve Mirchi ka Salan?
Here are some tips:
- Serve hot: Spicy Indian green chili curry tastes best when served hot. So make sure to serve it immediately after preparing it.
- Pair it with rice: It goes well with steamed rice or dum biryani. The spicy and tangy taste complements the rice’s mild nutty taste.
- Serve it with roti: You can also serve it with roti or any Indian bread. The bread helps to soak up the sauce and enhances the flavors of the dish.
Best Side Dishes to Serve with Green Chili Salan
Here are some best side dishes to serve with Green chili salan:
- Raita: Raita is a cooling yogurt-based side dish that goes well with spicy dishes like Mirchi ka Salan. You can prepare raita with cucumber, onion or tomato.
- Papad: Papad is a crispy and crunchy side dish that can be served with Chili curry. It adds a contrasting texture to the soft and creamy sauce of the dish.
- Salad: A fresh and crunchy salad can also be served with Mirchi ka Salan. It helps to balance out the spicy flavors of the dish. Also adds some texture and nutrition to the meal.
By following these serving suggestions and side dishes. You can make a full and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion. Tangy peanut and chili curry is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed with a variety of accompaniments. So, feel free to experiment and find the combination that suits you best.
The Mirchi ka Salan recipe is a low fat and low calorie dish that is rich in vitamins and minerals. It is a good source of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium.
Calorie Count: One serving of 200g contains approximately 150-200 calories. The number of calories may vary depending on the type and quantity of ingredients used.
Health Benefits of Tangy peanut And Chili Curry
Here are some health benefits of this dish:
- Helps in Digestion: Tangy peanut And Chili Curry contains green chilies. These are known for their digestive properties. They help in stimulating the digestive enzymes and promote better digestion.
- Boosts Immunity: The dish contains a lot of vitamin C, which is necessary for a strong immune system. It helps in fighting against infections and diseases.
- May aid in weight loss: It is a low calorie healthy dish that is rich in fiber. It can help in keeping you full for a longer time and aid in weight loss.
- Anti-inflammatory: Some of the spices used in the salan, such as turmeric and cumin have anti-inflammatory properties. They can help in reducing inflammation and prevent chronic diseases.
- Good for heart health: The dish is low in fat and calories. Which makes it good for heart health. The spices used in the dish such as coriander and cumin. This may also help in reducing cholesterol levels.
Mirchi ka Salan is a flavorful and nutritious dish that is low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals. It has several health benefits. It includes improved digestion, boosted immunity, weight loss and heart health.
FAQs Common Questions
Q: Is Mirchi ka Salan Very Spicy?
Yes Mirchi ka Salan is a spicy dish that is made with green chilies and a variety of spices. The spiciness can be adjusted to your preference by using fewer chilies or removing the seeds.
Q: Can I Use Other Types of Chilies To Make Spicy Indian Green Chili Curry?
While Mirchi ka Salan is traditionally made with green chilies. Red or jalapeno chilies or another kind of chilies might be used. It depends on your preference.
Q: Can I Make Tangy Peanut and Chili Curry in Advance?
Yes you can make Mirchi ka Salan in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 days. Make sure to reheat the dish before serving.
Q: What Can I Do If The Mirchi Ka Salan Is Too Spicy?
If the Mirchi ka Salan is too spicy. A cup of yogurt or a pinch of sugar can be added to the dish to balance out the spice.
Q: Can I Make Mirchi Ka Salan Without Peanuts?
A: Yes you can make South Indian Mirchi ka Salan without peanuts by using other thickening agents such as sesame seeds, cashews or coconut.
Q: What Are Some Common Side Dishes To Serve With Mirchi Ka Salan?
A: Some common side dishes to serve with Mirchi ka Salan include rice, roti, naan or any Indian bread. You can also serve raita, salad or pickles along with it.
Conclusion and Recap Of The Recipe
Its is a delicious and popular Indian dish that is made with green chilies, peanuts and a variety of spices. This dish is known for its unique and tangy taste and spicy taste. Follow the instructions and tips of the mirchi ka salan recipe. You can easily make this dish at home and impress your family and friends.
To recap the recipe you will need to fry the green chilies and blend the peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut to make a thick paste. The spice mixture must next be prepared and cooked with tomatoes and onions. Add the peanut paste and green chilies. Let it simmer until the flavors are well combined.
Mirchi ka Salan recipe can be served with rice, roti or any Indian bread and can also be paired with a side of raita, salad or pickles.